Rev. Donald H. Jordan, Sr.
Reverend Donald H. Jordan, Sr. was born January 16, 1932 in Middletown, Ohio, the son of the Reverend and Mrs. James K. (Elsie) Jordan.
Rev. Jordan was educated in the Middletown Public Schools, graduating in 1950. Rev. Jordan attended college at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, Class of 1954 receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration.
Upon graduating from Miami University, Rev. Jordan served in the United States Army from 1954-1956 in the Panama Canal Zone.
Rev. Jordan opened his first funeral home in Middletown, Ohio in May, 1953. He expanded to Hamilton, Ohio in May of 1959 and to Cincinnati, Ohio, purchasing the Lee Funeral Home in 1966, the Houston Funeral Home in 1972, the Pierce and Peoples Funeral Home in 1974, the Wrassman Funeral Home in 1976, and the Denman-Radel Funeral Home in 1988. Green Funeral Home in Hamilton, Ohio was purchased in 1990, Thompson Funeral Home in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1997 and Jones & Simpson Funeral Home in Covington, Kentucky in 1999. Rev. Jordan's most recent acquisition was the Lavenia's Home for Funerals and the Summer's Funeral Home both located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Today, Rev. Jordan operates one of th elargest funeral home operations in the state of Ohio. In Cincinnati, the funeral homes are known as Thompson, Hall and Jordan Funeral Homes. With the acquisition of Thompson's, the company celebrated 100 years of service to the Greater Cincinnati community in 1999.
Rev. Jordan was a member of many civic church organizations, such as, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity; Toussaint Lodge #19, F&AM, King Solomon Consistory #20, Illustrious Sir, 33rd Degree mason, St. Paul Chapter #10, Royal Arch Masons; former President, Booker T. Washington Community Center; United Funeral Directors of Greater Cincinnati; Buckeye State Funeral Directors Association; National Funeral Directors and Morticians Association; NAACP; Blythe-Williams Post 231 American Legion; Miami Alumni Association; and various other community and church organizations.
Rev. Jordan was a member of the South Ohio Annual Conference, African Methodist Episcopal Church; pastored Anderson Chapel A.M.E. Church, 1977-79, Cincinnati, Ohio; Quinn Chapel A.M.E. Church, 1979-96, Forest Park, Ohio. At Quinn Chapel, he led the congregation in purchasing six acres of land, building a $2.5 million edifice. The membership went from 50 to over 800. Rev. Jordan was assigned to Allen Temple A.M.E. Church in 1996. Allen Temple is the oldest African American Church in the northern United States from Cincinnati to the Pacific Ocean. Under Rev. Jordan, Allen Temple purchased the Swifton Commons Shopping Mall consisting of 34 acres of land and 425,000 square feet of building space. When totally renovated and completed as a retail center, this property will be valued in excess of sixty million dollars and will be the largest commercial development of any African American congregation in the United States of America at one site. In honor of Rev. Jordan, the Allen Temple board of Trustees voted to rename the Shopping Mall to Jordan Crossing.
While pastoring at Allen Temple, over 600 people united with the church. In May 2004, Allen Temple A.M.E. Church began worshiping in their new five million dollar edifice, the first new church in the history of Allen Temple. Rev. Jordan retired from pastoring in 2006 after 29 years of service to the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Rev. Jordan was called from labor to reward on January 2, 2017 at the age of 84.
Rev. Jordan is survived by Katherine Chavis Jordan, three sons, Phillip, Kevin and Donald, Jr. and six grandchildren.